Fieldtrip Friday

April 29, 2011 at 7:54 pm

My day started like this:


Getting up at 4:30 a.m. to go run is not as much fun as it sounds. I wrote more about that on my “Still Running” page.

I had to get an early start because Cal and I had to be at school super early for a fieldtrip. When I got back from running I showered, made the boys breakfast, put on make up, and then I was almost out of time! I had to do a quick breakfast…cereal only.


Also, just one regular cup of coffee and one of these for the road:


I was trying to avoid having to use this:


But backing up to before the trip, I made sure to pack my fieldtrip essentials:


Cal and I managed to make it to school by the 7:15 call time.


Our bus was actually nice and luxurious (but I still didn’t want to use the bathroom on it).


These were my charges (Cal and Hunter):


They spent most of the trip like this:


Once we got under way, I had my Doubleshot and my peace bracelet, and I was repeating my mantra (“peace is the way”) in my head. All was well.


Oh, these are my fieldtrip shoes, by the way:


We were headed to Fort Myers, which is about two hours from St. Pete. Cal’s teacher had the forethought to stop at the rest area before we crossed the Sunshine Skyway.


This definitely enabled me to avoid the bus toilet!


The entertainment on the bus consisted of “Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang” at high volume (to go with their theme of “Inventors and Inventions” this year).


I didn’t mind at all.


I had my own entertainment.


Before I knew it we had arrived at Punta Gorda.


We weren’t supposed to go to Punta Gorda.

Soon we were entering Port Charlotte.


We weren’t supposed to go to Port Charlotte.

Our bus driver had gone the wrong way and taken us over 20 minutes out of our way. We had to make a U-turn and get back on the right highway. We were running very late and cutting into our time at the Edison and Fort Winter Estates (our destination).


Finally, we pulled into Fort Myers, where it was pouring down rain.


We were so happy to finally be there and get off the bus! I tried to put on a happy face, despite the fact that Cal and I got soaked to the bone running to the other building where the bathrooms were located.


What, I don’t look happy? I did love these little windows in the bathroom building:


The museum and estates were very cool. Edison was amazing. He had like a bazillion patents. Basically, he invented everything.



I just loved this picture:


I don’t know if you can really see these ladies faces, but I’m not sure too many men were heartbroken by not being able to touch their lips.

Once we got done with the museum the sun had come back out and it was lovely. The Edison summer homes were beautiful and on an amazing piece of waterfront property.



I especially loved the super-wide porches and beautiful pergola that connected his main house with his guest house (yeah, he was loaded…he did invent everything after all).





Thomas Edison was very good friends with Henry Ford, so old Henry bought the house next door so they could hang out together in the winter.



Here is Henry Ford’s winter toilet:


Their amazing waterfront vista:


And an angle on the front of the Edison homes:


And here’s the man himself (with Hunter, Cameron and Cal):


Too soon we had to get back on the bus to make sure all the kids got back to school in time to catch their school buses home. We were supposed to eat on picnic tables on the estate, but since we took that little detour to Port Charlotte we ended up eating our lunches on the bus on the way home.

I had prepped my lunch the day before (basically making two of the same salads yesterday). I had my salad for today all packaged up.


In the plastic: mushrooms, red bell pepper, CSA kohlrabi, corn, black beans, CSA beets, fat free cheese, lite ranch dressing. All this stuff got put in a big bowl on top of a bed of CSA lettuces and arugula:


It was awesome, and eaten on my lap on the bus:


Bye-bye Edison & Ford Estates.


We got back to the school just after 2:30. Cal said the real fieldtrip was the bus ride, since that was the biggest part of the day and the most fun. We were on the bus for 5 1/2 hours. We were at the Edison & Ford Winter Estates for an hour and a half. Good times.

All you youngsters out there without kids, beware…


Okay, I was just trying to figure out how to work this picture into this post. This is a house two streets over from ours. I have no idea what it means!

The rest of the afternoon was spent working on gifted projects (due next week) and decompressing. I made an awesome stir-fry for dinner using all CSA veggies (squash, kohlrabi, rainbow carrots, spring onion), but didn’t photograph it. I think there are enough photos in this post already anyway. Time for the family evening walk…TGIF! I survived!

P.S. Just another reminder that I added a “FAQs” page to handle all of these questions I am constantly getting Smile.