A Day Off?

June 28, 2011 at 6:18 pm

(Friday, 6/24/11)

The Plan

Yesterday I was worried that my janked up wrist and arm might be a problem for Bodypump today, but I planned to go and do my best. Well, into the evening after I wrote that post, my wrist and arm just began hurting worse and worse. By the time I went to bed I had a hard time falling asleep because I couldn’t find a comfortable position for my hand and wrist. Then this morning when I woke up I could barely move it and almost any movement was painful.

So I reevaluated. I told Chad this morning that I was going to take a day off. Once again looking back at my workout calendar, I realized that my last actual day off with no formal exercise was June 11th, and today is the 24th (although I realize you are reading this several days after that…I’ll have to address this delayed publishing thing eventually, I guess). So, almost two weeks without a real day off. And I realize that I have been back to my excessercising ways this week with the boys in camp. So now my plan was to take a day off and at the most take Chewie for a leisurely walk.

What Really Happened

I made the boys’ breakfast, drank my first two cups off coffee, then we headed out to the last day of camp for the boys.

Cal to St. Pete College for Kids…


where it is Pizza Day!

[Cal also had pizza for dinner last night and breakfast this morning. Don’t judge.]

Mack to Superkicks for karate camp:


As I was driving home, I had this thought that popped into my head. I thought, “I haven’t run any distance with no walking breaks in forever. I can’t lift weights today because of my janked up wrist, but I don’t need my wrist or arm for running. My legs feel fine. I’m going run when I get home. I’m going to run five miles. I’m going to do it with NO walking. Maybe I can get started by 8:30 and it won’t be so hot.”

Well, you know when I get an idea like that in my head that I just can’t let it go. At that point it almost a done deal. Like the first time I decided that I could run to the gym, do Bodypump, then run home. Or the time I decided that maybe I could ride my bike all the way to the mall.

So much for a day off.

I came home, got all my running gear together and then had tons of small delays in getting started. One of which was that I decided to try out the Camelbak that I got for my birthday for the first time.

camelbak collage

Figuring out how that thing worked (it actually came with NO instructions whatsoever) and getting it fit snugly took a few minutes, so it was actually about 9:00 by the time I got started running. I don’t know what fantasy world I was thinking of earlier, but it was already pretty hot and miserable by then.

The screen shot on the left below was at 8:30 a.m. See the “feels like” temperature and the humidity? The screen shot on the right was right after I got back, around 10 a.m. Feels like 94 degrees and 79% humidity! That’s like running in a bowl of warm soup.

weather collage-1

It was horrendous. But I did it. 5 miles with NO walking. Pretty slow, but NO walking. The stats are on my “Still Running” page.


I didn’t take my camera with me, and when I got home I stepped in to pick it up and stepped back out to take this picture. It was so hot and humid that my camera lens fogged up immediately. (Look! It’s my bizarre split tongue!)

Thoughts on the Camelbak

It was comfortable and lightweight (it holds 50 ounces or 1.5 liters). I have gotten fairly used to running with a light backpack from having done it several times when running to the gym. I liked that it has several small storage pockets (suitable for electronics or maps or small snacks) so I didn’t have to wear my fanny pack sports belt to hold my phone/music. As far as actually drinking from the thing, I’d give it a C+. I think I will get better at it if I use it more.

It is definitely nice not to have to carry a bottle, or open a bottle, or remove a bottle from my belt THEN open the bottle THEN put it back on my belt. But I’m just not good at swallowing while breathing hard. I kind of choke and cough and sputter. Which screws up my breathing which makes the next tenth of a mile REALLY suck. Even if I don’t choke or sputter at all, just swallowing screws up my breathing, which is very tenuous whenever I run. I mean, you can’t swallow and breathe at the same time!

The Run

The run itself was mostly torturous. Actually it was only super difficult up until mile three, then torturous after that. By mile four my body really really wanted to stop and walk. It was pure mental focus that kept me jogging that last mile. The last quarter mile I was feeling pukey. When I finally did stop at 5 miles I had about a tenth of a mile walk/cool down to my house and I was feeling pretty wobbly on my feet.

I think it was just the oppressive heat and humidity. I was hydrated, thanks to my Camelbak, but I hadn’t had breakfast yet…just those two cups of coffee with a splash of skim milk in each. Maybe I should have had a small bite of something, but really I think it was the heat that made all the difference.

It actually took about 15 minutes before my breathing was really normal again. That’s how I know that I really was spent there at the end. When I recover quickly I always feel like I should have pushed myself harder. Not today.

Also, all those endorphins seems to have made my wrist feel better. It’s definitely looser and less painful than it was first thing this morning.

Home Again

It seems like when I get home after running and am walking up the stairs of my back porch, THAT is when I start really pouring sweat. I paused to take that picture above, and sweat literally started pouring off of me. I left a trail in my foyer!


After my breathing calmed down I took the most wonderful shower ever, then FINALLY made some breakfast, like at 11:00 a.m. I’m still discombobulated by the loss of my school-days routine. I haven’t figured out quite how to work everything correctly. Juggling the kids, food, the weather and exercise…the timing just never works right. I would never intend to skip breakfast. EVER. But it just sort of happened this morning. I forget that I never want to eat immediately after exercising. It totally suppresses my appetite for about an hour (don’t worry…then my appetite rages).

Anyway, I made a really big BRUNCH of my favorites.


Steel cut oats made with almond milk, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, unsweetened coconut and toasted pecans; cheese & chive eggbeaters scrambled with scallions, mushrooms and red bell peppers with Frank’s hot sauce on top; that third cup of coffee, with a packet of splenda and a dollop of skim milk.

What’s that blue thing on the left side of the picture? It’s the mouthpiece to my Camelbak.


I want to take the whole thing apart so I can hang it up to dry, but I can’t figure out how to get the tubes off. I’m scared to pull too hard. I don’t want to break it. I’m going to have to go online and get instructions on how to do it (I know they are out there…I’ve actually read them somewhere before).

So much for my “me” time

Pretty soon it was time to go get Cal from College for Kids.  I brought him home and made a snack for him, and a late lunch for me.

lunch to dinner-1

We hung out for a while until it was time to go get Mack. When we left it was raining!

lunch to dinner-2

Yay for a typical summer weather pattern! It was sunny and raining AGAIN.

lunch to dinner-3

On the way to pick up Mack we stopped by the library just to see if they had any Dragonball Z books Cal hadn’t read.

lunch to dinner-4

No dice.

Mack ended up having a fun last day of karate camp and they got to go swimming at Fossil Park pool, despite the afternoon rain.

lunch to dinner-5

Both of the boys say they want to do another week of karate camp this summer, so I might sign them up for another one later in July. We’ll see. I don’t want to get over-scheduled!

I made a super delicious dinner tonight, but I think I’ll save it to post tomorrow.

The rest of the evening involved a family evening walk and TV watching with Chad. We watched the season premiere of Louis (love Louis C.K.) and Wilfred (really strange but we liked it), then another Hot in Cleveland and Happily Divorced. I thought all the scenes with Fran Drescher giggling while the dude kissed her neck were really tedious and annoying. I’m thinking that show is not going to make it.

Okay already, this post is long enough!